Friday, September 26, 2008

Introduction of Super Surya


For a long time now I have been toying with the idea of setting up a blog. For those of you who know me well this may come as a shock since you know how much I dislike documenting my thoughts. The catalyst for this sudden (or not so sudden) turnaround is the fact that I am a mother now and while motherhood is the most wonderful, rewarding experience, it can be a bit alienating. I am a person who loves to talk, about pretty much anything and everything and I find these days I have all these thoughts in my head and not much of an outlet so I decided that now is the time to create an outlet. A way to create a cathartic experience for myself and let my thoughts just hang out there in cyberspace for anyone to read. Now, you may be wondering why oh why did I name the blog after my daughter? The answer to that is that I am a mother first after all. The other reason for creating this blog is to share with all of you the adventures that Surya embarks upon everyday. Even as I write this sentence I am flooded with a million and one anecdotes of Surya's adventures. She is growing so fast and is changing so much day by day that is impossible to let each individual friend and family member know what is going on with her. I can barely keep it all straight in my head. This blog is my way of keeping all of you up to date and helping myself remember and create documentation of Surya's numerous adventures.

Oh, one last thing. The reason I called this blog "The Adventures of Super Surya" is because of my darling husband. Dalip worked in a comic book store for 11 years in Montreal. He knows almost all the ins and outs of all the comic book/graphic novel characters created during his time. It is fascinating to go to the Marvel and DC comic movies with him because he can provide you with all the background and details that the movie makers leave out (especially when they are tempting you with sequels). For the past year or so Dalip has been gently nudging me to really think about writing children's books and I, ever so pessimistically, have been pondering my own ability to be a success at such an endeavor. The only idea that I can bring myself to even write about is comic about the adventures of Super Surya, a young girl who is a strong (mentally and physically), independent, and vivacious in life and spirit, who journeys to foreign lands, meets new and interesting people and animals, as well as embarks on daily adventures in her backyard. That is my Surya.

Without further ado I present to you "The Adventures of Super Surya" and hope you enjoy reading and watching her grow as much as I do.

1 comment:

Zen said...

Sonja: This has been a wonderful idea and I am sure that it will be a great memory for all the people viewing this video and for Surya in years to come. Take care and keep it up. Love Zen